Children and Youth Scientific University “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic” (CYSU “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic”)
Period of implementation of the project:
Major tasks are: forming of enduring interest to nature-mathematical sciences; involving in research, invention, project activities; promoting the conscious choice of further engineering and STEM education, popularization of engineering specialties and the formation of an early professional worldview. The current state of socio-economic development in Ukraine implies the need to train a person who is able to consciously and responsibly make his professional choice. In such a case, young people have the opportunity to determine the field of activity that corresponds to their abilities and will allow them, on the one hand, to achieve the highest efficiency, and on the other – to ensure the self-realization of each individual. Regarding to the importance of this problem and the complexity of choice, it was decided to create a project CYSU “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic”.
The project is created for all interested students and schoolchildren of the city on a free of charge basis. As a part of the project, departments of “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic” introduce pupils to engineering professions and provides them with the opportunity to see the process of forming and choosing a profession from an early age, teaches a safe lifestyle, introduces visual aids to the laws of physics and mathematics, the latest technologies, etc.
Starting from primary school, the project allows:
- to start working on career guidance of an individual, while forming in children a system of ideas about the world of professions and values of work;
- to help promotion of engineering and technological professions among young people, raising awareness of their career opportunities in engineering;
- to form a stable motivation in studying the disciplines on which STEM-education is based;
- to form students’ professional competencies: communication in the state and foreign languages, mathematical literacy, competencies in sciences and technologies, information and digital literacy, lifelong learning skills, social and civic competencies, entrepreneurship, cultural, environmental literacy and healthy living, which are harmonious parts of the system of STEM-education.
The project involves 25 general secondary schools in the city of Zaporizhia, 9 departments of National University “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic”, 20 enterprises and commercial structures of Zaporizhia scientific, technical and humanitarian circles (20 groups were opened on the basis of NU “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic”). New groups were established: “School of drone operators”, “ZD-masters”, “Mechatronics”, foreign languages study using CLIL method, scientific coordinators of which are teachers of NU “Zaporizhzhya Polytechnic”. During the project the first drone festival was held in Zaporizhia.
Scientific events: Professional Broadcast (online), UN model (online), scientific language camp “FLIGHT”, online language camp “GoCamp”, which involved about 600 children.
Thanks to the project of CYSU “Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic”:
- The awareness of young people in choosing the future profession is realized;
- The number of youth and adults who have required skills, including skills needed for employment, decent work and entrepreneurship is increasing.
- The main effect of the project is that children from an early age choose, get acquainted and master the professions they plan to pursue in future, which will significantly reduce cases of reckless choice of profession and increase the level of technical education in the region.
Company: The out-of-school educational facility “The Center of Scientific and Technical Creativity of Youth “Polit”, Zaporozhye City Council, Zaporozhye Region СSTCY “Polit”
About the company:
CSTCY “Polit” is a specialized institution of extracurricular education under the local authority, whose main activities are:
- technical scientific;
- STREAM education (as a form of realization of project and research activity of youth).