The Greatest World of Oaks
Period of implementation of the project:
Reduce the risk of forest loss, in particular through the drying of pine on 30 hectares of forest in Pyriatyn Park by planting oak sprouts and acorns during 2019-2020 so a mixed forest will be created from a monoculture pine forest.
Create and test a method to form a mixed forest with oak dominance.
Involve at least 100 students and schoolchildren in the project to spread the importance of the problem among young people.
Create a public response to cover the problem with the help of an information campaign on social networks, media involvement, public speeches in open events.
- We’ve analyzed Pyriatyn Forest problem, identified ways to solve it and discussed the stages of a potential project at a fundraising training for environmental students at Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
- Acorn donor oaks were identified.
- 7,000 acorns were collected.
- Acorns were planted in the areas of forest restoration.
- A master class on the cultivation of oak from acorns of Shevchenko oak was held.
- 50 sets of “oak expert” were transferred to the women’s penal colony in Chernihiv through the public organization “The Union. “The Golden Age of Ukraine”.
- A flashmob #SmallAcornBigDeak was launched on social networks
- A student expedition was conducted.
- The second collection of acorns for planting in 2020-21 was planned
- It is planned to plant sprouts from the experimental site in the forest and harvested acorns.
- A series of educational posts about T. Shevchenko’s oaks are planned with The National Taras Shevchenko Museum in 2020.
- The flashmob #LittleAcornGreatOak will continue on social networks in the autumn of 2020.
- It is planned to monitor and evaluate the wintering of sprouts, summing up the effectiveness of various methods of planting and germinating acorns in the autumn of 2021.
- It is planned to publish the methodology which is based on the results of the planting for creating a mixed forest with a predominance of oak from a monocultural pine forest.
- Reduction of the risk of forest loss on 30 hectares of forest in Pyriatyn National Nature Park, by planting oak sprouts and acorns during 2019-2020 so a mixed forest will be created from a monoculture pine forest.
- Analysis of different approaches to germination and planting acorns.
- The effective method of creating a mixed forest dominated by oak from a monoculture pine forest was published on social networks and in the media. The method is based on the results of monitoring the germination of acorns and research conducted by scientists during the project.
- Release of the manual about creating a mixed forest dominated by oak from a monoculture pine forest.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to grow an acorn oak yourself.
- Five scientific events with students.
- 60 students and 7 teachers have participated in the master class.
- Three educational posts about Taras Shevchenko oaks were published in social networks.
- Five articles in print or online media were published.
- Flashmob #SmallAcornBigDeak covers at least 200,000 people.
There are some results that have already been achieved or partially achieved. Most results will be achieved in 2021 as well as the growth of our oaks in the forest.
Company: Charity organization “Charity foundation “Peli can live”
About the company:
The main areas of work are:
- protection of biodiversity and nature conservation
- environmental education and
- social security.
The fund was created on March 15, 2017. Active work since the beginning of 2018. During its existence, the fund has implemented 18 projects. We continue to work on some of them even now.
Funding sources of the organization:
- the co-founders contribute their contributions to ensure the sustainability of the fund and current costs;
- most projects are supported by socially responsible corporate business
- have experience of a successful fundraising campaign through the Spilnokosht platform.