Period of implementation of the project:
March 2020 – to date
One of the main problems at the beginning of the pandemic was the lack of essentials: personal protective equipment, antiseptics and disinfectants for the company’s employees, as well as doctors. In addition, the medical institutions lacked medicines, medical equipment (especially in rural areas), and test systems to detect new disease. Moreover, there was an insufficient level of coordination at the level of regional government agencies and healthcare institutions. This is the first time that Ukrainian healthcare system has faced such a global problem.
The project is aimed to provide healthcare institutions, doctors and patients with the essential things to stop the spread of the virus and save lives in Poltava and Kirovohrad regions.
In addition, the company’s management needed to ensure stability for personnel in conditions of uncertainty, namely:
- Maintain the planned pace of work, ensuring the continuity of manufacturing, procurement and transshipment of goods.
- Promptly transport 4,500 employees remotely, providing all the conditions for effective work and interaction on-line, as well as help managers with the new format of team management.
- Maintain the health of the company’s employees, including emotional, in times of worldwide panic and uncertainty.
- Systematically and promptly inform 13,000 company’s employees to maintain stability and security.
The coordination of these tasks was headed by the Human Resources Department.
The project comprises 2 key directions:
- ensuring a continuous manufacturing process at all enterprises of the company in pandemic conditions
- providing all essentials to the hospitals and social institutions of Poltava and Kirovohrad regions.
The project was implemented as follows:
- Establishment of the COVID-19 Monitoring Centre with three levels to coordinate the situation.
- Holding a large-scale communication campaign – distribution of information about the virus, features of diagnostics, algorithm of actions in case of symptoms
- Provision of personnel involved in continuous manufacturing with the personal protective equipment, antiseptic disinfectants, work schedule reorganisation
- Development and control of actions in case of suspicion of cases at the enterprise, identification of contact persons.
- Providing company’s enterprises with test systems for rapid response
- Establishing contacts with healthcare institutions for prompt response in case of symptoms
- Providing coordination assistance to the regional state administrations
- Providing support hospitals and social institutions with personal protective equipment, medicines, medical equipment, disinfectants and antiseptics.
The following measures have been taken to ensure the successful implementation of the project:
- Support of healthcare and social institutions
- Personnel protection
- Business continuity management
- Ongoing communication campaign
- Project management
- Involvement of Poltava and Kirovohrad State Regional Administrations, as well as hospital management
- The project team included 15 members of the Central Staff and the management of enterprises in the regions of the company’s presence (the Regional Staffs)
2. Social indicators:
- Project area – 14 regions of Kernel’s presence, special support was provided to regional hospitals of Poltava and Kirovohrad regions
- Incidence rates for COVID-19 in Poltava and Kirovohrad regions are among the lowest in the country (4th and 3rd place, respectively)
- Preventing the mass spread of the virus among the personnel
3. Financial indicators:
- The total amount of assistance to the regions amounted to more than UAH 150 mln.
- The following was purchased:
- 913,964 pcs. of personal protective equipment
- 10,922 pcs. of disinfectants and antiseptics
- 146,633 pcs. of medication
- 384 pcs. of medical equipment.
About the company:
Kernel is the world’s largest manufacturer and exporter of sunflower oil, a key supplier of agricultural products from the Black Sea region to the world markets.
Sustainable Development Goals
Kirovohrad Regional State Administration
Poltava Regional State Administration
Novoarkhangelsk District Hospital
Poltava Regional Infectious Diseases Hospital