MAKE IT SMART!
Period of implementation of the project:
The key objective of the Competition is to support the talented youth and promote the development of modern quality education in Ukraine.
The goals of the Competition are:
- to promote among students and young scientists the culture of innovation facilitate the search for new ideas and technological solutions, to ensure the sustainable development of communities;
- to introduce Smart City concept in the following areas of social life:
- infrastructure: access to quality health care and education services, urbanization, and development of recreational space;
- diversification of economics and supporting small and medium-sized businesses, creation of business accelerators;
- utilities and power supply: heating, water, lighting;
- transport infrastructure;
- public safety;
- municipal solid waste management;
- zero-emission transport;
- urban greening.
The Competition included the following phases:
The Competition included the following phases:
- an information campaign was conducted at the universities, in the regional and national media, and in social networks
Three facilitating sessions to create teams were held at the universities.
Phase І: Three one-day hackathons were held at each of the three universities in Dnipro, Zaporizhia, and Lviv. It was the selection of the best projects.
At the outset, the teams presented their project to coaches (from 8 to 12 persons at each university), who are Candidates (Ph.D) and Doctors of sciences teaching various subjects, and successful business persons.
The coaches provided their critical reviews and gave advice to each team in connection with deficiencies of the projects, their strengths and weaknesses.
Then, the teams were provided with an opportunity to end their projects with the assistance of the coaches.
During each of the three hackathons, a jury, comprising business leaders, representatives of municipal authorities, Professors, and the UNDP resident coordinator, selected three best projects according to the relevant criteria, and their authors (i.e. three to four best teams from each university) were invited to the next Competition phase.
Phase ІІ: The final phase of the Hackathon was held at the Academy DTEK in UNIT.City in Kyiv.
Ten teams-finalists from three universities presented their projects and ideas to the coaches: businessmen, successful founders of start-up companies, and experts from Academy DTEK. With their assistance, the team members finalized their projects and submitted video presentations.
The main jury of the Competition comprised representatives of business, successful founders of start-up companies, and non-governmental organizations that contribute to the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Three winning teams (13 persons) were awarded the certificates of the Academy DTEK and were invited to an educational tour abroad.
Phase ІІІ: An educational tour to Germany and Poland for 13 winning students, feedback from international experts, and finalization of the projects. The projects were delivered to DTEK as the Competition Founder for further implementation
Quantitative indicators of the project:
- total number of participants: over 400, in particular:
- students aged from 17 to 35 who participated in the competition: 126 persons
- Candidates (Ph.D) and Doctors of sciences, Professors from three partner universities: 38 persons
- national and international experts, business persons, trainers, founders of start-ups companies: 18 persons
- representatives of the UN Global Compact – 2 persons
- young people who supported the Competition participants: over 200 persons
- representatives of international partners (Technische Universität Berlin, Horum Bank (Poland), Twój StartUp Business Incubator (Poland), the Waste Recycling Plant and the Filter Manufacturing Plant (Poland) – 12 persons
- DTEK representatives – 9 persons (managers, department directors, representatives of the Regional Policy Directorate)
- project coverage indicator in the media, the official universities websites, and social networks based on Semantrum data: 1.85 mln persons
- 30 articles and videos were published, including:
Qualitative indicators of the project:
- 32 project ideas, which were mainly environmental by their nature, were submitted to the Competition.
- 13 students who won the Competition with their projects were awarded an educational trip to Europe. They visited Berlin, Warsaw, Brzeg, and Wroclaw, where the projects, created by the Ukrainian students, were presented and assessed. The young Ukrainians had an opportunity to visit European high-technology plants and receive advice from international experts, see new solutions and ideas that helped them for the further projects development.
- Positive feedback was received from the participants, teachers, experts, and the media
Company: Dnipro University of Technology
About the company:
Dnipro University of Technology (DUT), founded in 1899, is a leading university in Ukraine.